How to make Raspberry Jam
A quick small-batch recipe to enjoy homemade jams.
An easy recipe to make when raspberries are in season. And once you make this, you can use the jam for so many recipes like Mascarpone Jam Toast (that you can see in the picture), spread it over buns and scones, use in trifles, spread over rotis for an easy kids snack, etc
Let’s see what ingredients this needs.
You will need only four ingredients for making this 10 minute jam.
Raspberries: Fresh or Frozen will do. I have used fresh as they were in season.
Sugar: I have used moderate amount of sugar for this. The less sugar you use, the more fruity the jam will be. But that shall also reduce it’s shelf life. More the sugar, longer the shelf life. Also as this is a small batch recipe, you can reduce the sugar some more as the jam will not sit for longer duration.
Lime Juice: We need this to bind the jam together and so that it has a spreadable consistency.
Lime Zest: As a kid, I have had medicines (especially for fever!) with a peculiar raspberry flavour which I started hating as I grew up. If you too(like me) do not like the ‘medicine-resembling’ taste of raspberries, I would suggest adding a teaspoon or two of fresh lime zest which adds a nice tang to the otherwise ‘medicinal’ flavour. But if that is not a worry, consider skipping this.
- Start with a plate. Yes, choose any small plate and keep it in the deep freezer. We will be using this for testing if the jam is done cooking.
- Wash the raspberries in a bowl with a mix of vinegar and water. Rinse them for a minute and drain.
- Transfer them to a pan and add the sugar. Start cooking on a low-medium heat.
- After few raspberries start breaking down, mash them with a spatula or a potato masher. This helps in the cooking the jam faster. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and lime zest(if using) now.
- Now take out the plate from the deep freezer and put a small drop of jam on it. Run a finger through the jam drop.
- If the jam has wrinkles, it is done. Switch off the heat.
- Let it cool for few minutes. Transfer to a clean jar.
How to make Raspberry Jam?
- 100 grams Fresh Raspberries (frozen will work too)
- 75 grams Sugar
- 1 tsp Lime Zest (optional)
- 2 tsp Lime Juice
- Wash the raspberries in water and pat dry them.
- Transfer to a pan and add sugar. Cook on low-medium heat.
- Keep a plate or two in the deep freezer so we can use it for testing whether the jam is done.
- Once the raspberries start to break down, mash them with a spatula. Add zest of one lime.
- Cook for around 10 minutes and add the (preferably freshly squeezed) lime juice.
- Test whether the jam is done as per instructions mentioned above.
- Let cool and transfer to a sterilized jar or container.
Shelf Life and Storage: This is a small batch recipe and this quantity of jam usually stays well for a month or so. If you need to store for a longer shelf life, consider adding citric acid crystals or following the traditional canning process.
Other jam recipes you must try:
Have you ever made jam at home? If yes, comment below and tell me your favourite home made jam. Feel free to ask any questions in comments also, I would be happy to help.
Pin this recipe for later: